Office: Wing B, #230
Kai Kennedy has joined the Doctor of Physical Therapy Division as an Assistant Professor. Dr. Kennedy has a keen interest in developing innovative curricular strategies that help students develop skills necessary to provide care in community-centered programs. With a focus on values-based community initiatives, Dr. Kennedy aims to provide unique learning opportunities in the areas of community and global health, program development, and interprofessional practice. Ongoing projects include the development of interprofessional peer learning programs in Haiti and the development of the first physical therapy education programs in Haiti and in Sierra Leone. She teaches, collaborates, and consults internationally, and is interested in investigating mutual benefit in community-based programs, locally and abroad. Dr. Kennedy has served on numerous committees and task forces at the state and national levels, and currently serves on the Executive Board for APTA Education Section.
- DPT, Virginia Commonwealth University, 2005
- BS, Kinesiological Sciences, University of Maryland, College Park, 2002
- PT 712: Health Policy and Health System Design
- FEPT-C: Health Policy, Practice, and Regulation in the United States
- Orthopedics, Community-based Rehabilitation
- Volunteer Clinician/Consultant – Global Therapy Group, Haiti | 2013-present
- Educational Consultant/Instructor – Wesleyan University of Haiti, School of Nursing Sciences, Haiti | 2014-present
- Educational Consultant – Episcopal University of Haiti, School of Rehabilitation Sciences, Haiti | 2015-present
- Educational Consultant/Curriculum Development Team – Masanga Rehabilitation Project, Sierra Leone | 2016 - present
- Kennedy, V. Kai and Allison Ellington. “Innovative IPE: Community-Based Health Programming From Start to Finish.” All Together Better Health VIII, September 8, 2016, Oxford, United Kingdom. Poster.
- Kennedy. V. Kai. “Limitless: International Interprofessional Partnership in Global Health.” Ghana Physiotherapy Association 3rd Biennial Scientific Conference, March 3, 2016, Takoradi, Ghana. Lecture.
- Kennedy, V. Kai. “Innovations in Physical Therapy Education: Fostering Professional Skills & Sustainable Outcomes in Community-based Program Development.” Ghana Physiotherapy Association 3rd Biennial Scientific Conference, March 2, 2016, Takoradi, Ghana. Platform.
- Kennedy, VK and Joanna Bierlein. “Perinatal Fitness: Preparatory Exercise for Pregnancy, Labor, and Postpartum Recovery.” Ghana Physiotherapy Association 3rd Biennial Scientific Conference, March 2, 2016, Takoradi, Ghana. Workshop.
- Shoaf, Lisa and VK Kennedy. “Ready, Set, IPE: Implementing Meaningful Interprofessional Education in a DPT Program.” APTA Education Leadership Conference, October 4, 2015, Baltimore, Maryland. Lecture.
- Dorries, Bruce, VK Kennedy, and Doris Dodson. “From Hope Kits to Walls of Hope: Bent Best Practices on an Alternative Spring Break to Cherident, Haiti.” Intercultural Horizons Conference, SUNY Global Center, October 9, 2014, New York, New York. Lecture.
Awards and honors
Faculty Fellow, Mary Baldwin College Spencer Center for Civic and Global Engagement | 2014-2016